Saturday 20 August 2011

The Trip North.......August 20th, 2011

My family and I have known now that we would be going North to Iqaluit for well over 6 months......Today is a day that will be forever remembered by my wife and childern. Either it was the day Dad lost his mind and moved everyone north, or it will become a day that changed our outlook on life.

I had worked for Loblaw's for a number of years. I started as a Regional Manager Human Resources / Labour Relations, and later moved into the  stores as an Assistant Store Manager. I worked on the grocery side of the house and the fresh side. The job was not overly stressful......on me. 100 hours a week and people crying because their hours were being cut.....well ok, I care about people so this was stressful, and the reason that I left Loblaws.......I care about my employees. Long before I left Loblaws I had been considering the North West Company.....they seemed to get it. They seemed to care about their community and their employees. So far, now after 5.5 months with the North West Company, I believe that to be true.....but it is not all easy.

My wife was left to get rid of our home both literaly, and figuativly...........she had to deal with the condo, and everything we owned for the last 20 plus years together. We kept very little. Clothes of course....some pictures, my wifes good china......a few other odds and ends, but not much else..... That is what has been going on for the last 5 months...getting rid of furniture, artifacts, vehicles and so much more........

Yesterday my kids finished cadet camp, and my wife and I picked them up. We headed to the airport hotell......and this morning I loaded my wife and 2 kids on a plane......they are not headed North quite yet....they will stop over to visit family in Ontario for a week...but it is all very real now.........the journey North has started.......

It should be noted that along with my wife and 2 childern the family pet, scamper the cat is travelling.......hopefully he survives and does not become a meal for some wayard animal.....

More to follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment